Extraordinary meeting of the
Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
Wednesday 26 April 2023
Commencing at 1.00p.m.
Chairperson Tasman District Councillor Kit Maling
Deputy Chairperson Nelson City Councillor Tim Skinner
Members Nelson City Councillor Kahu Paki Paki
Tasman District Councillor Barry Dowler
Independent Member Tallat Mehmood
Industry Representative (non-voting) Philip Wilson
The Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit (NRSBU) is a joint committee of Nelson City and Tasman District Councils. Operation of the NRSBU is governed by a Board, as established by a Memorandum of Understanding (A1983271).
· To manage and operate the wastewater treatment facilities at Bells Island and the associated reticulation network efficiently and in accordance with resource consent conditions to meet the needs of its customers.
· The Councils are agreed that the responsibility for all management and administrative matters associated with the NRSBU operation shall be with the Board, and in particular the Board shall without the need to seek any further authority from the Councils:
o Operate a bank account for the Business Unit;
o Comply with the Procurement Policy of the Administering Council;
o Enter into all contracts necessary for the operation and management of the Business Unit in accordance with the approved budgets and intent of the Business Plan;
o Authorise all payments necessary for the operation and management of the Business Unit within the approved budgets and intent of the Business Plan;
o Do all other things, other than those things explicitly prohibited by this Memorandum of Understanding or relevant statutes, that are necessary to achieve the objectives as stated in the Strategic Plan, Asset Management Plan or Business Plan approved by the Councils;
o Comply with the Health and Safety Policy and requirements of the administering Council
· Contribute to the sanitary services assessment process of the Councils
· Contribute to and comply with the waste management plans of the Councils
· Contribute to the development of the Councils’ Development and Financial Contribution policies
· Contribute to the Councils’ Regional Policy Statement and Regional Plan Reviews
· Develop and keep under review an appropriate contract for the delivery of waste collection and disposal services with each of its customers
· Follow generally accepted accounting practices
· Follow good employment practices
· Any other matters under the areas of responsibility of the Business Unit and detailed in the Memorandum of Understanding.
· All recommendations to Council will be subject to adoption of an equivalent resolution by the other Council, unless it is a matter specific to one Council only.
· The Memorandum of Understanding governing the NRSBU allows for either six or seven members to be appointed. The quorum at a meeting is either three (if six members are appointed), or four (if seven members are appointed), including at least one from each local authority.
· The Standing Orders of the Council providing administration to the committee will be applied at each meeting.
· The Chairperson will not have a casting vote.
· Copies of minutes of meetings of the Joint Committee will be retained by each Council for record keeping purposes
Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
26 April 2023
1.1 An apology has been received from Industry Representative Philip Wilson.
2. Confirmation of Order of Business
3.1 Updates to the Interests Register
3.2 Identify any conflicts of interest in the agenda
That the Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
1. Excludes the public from the following parts of the proceedings of this meeting.
2. The general subject of each matter to be considered while the public is excluded, the reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter and the specific grounds under section 48(1) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 for the passing of this resolution are as follows:
General subject of each matter to be considered
Reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter
Particular interests protected (where applicable)
Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit Rabbit Island Land Disposal System Consent Application Report
The public conduct of this matter would be likely to result in disclosure of information for which good reason exists under section 7
The withholding of the information is necessary:
· Section 48(1)(d)
exclusion of the public from the whole or the relevant part of the
proceedings of the meeting is necessary to enable the local authority to
deliberate in private on its decision or recommendation in any proceedings to
which this paragraph applies.