Ordinary meeting of the
Joint Committee of Tasman District and Nelson City Councils
Tuesday 29 November 2022
Commencing at 1.00p.m.
110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson
Chairperson His Worship the Mayor of Tasman Tim King
Alternating Chairperson His Worship the Mayor of Nelson Nick Smith
Tasman District Council:
Deputy Mayor of Tasman Stuart Bryant, Councillors Celia Butler, Barry Dowler,
Mark Greening, Chris Hill, Christeen MacKenzie, Kit Maling, Brent Maru, Trindi
Walker, Glen, Daikee, Jo Ellis, Mike Kininmonth and Dan Shallcrass
Nelson City Council:
Deputy Mayor of Nelson Rohan O'Neill-Stevens, Councillors Matty Anderson, Matthew Benge, Trudie Brand, Mel Courtney, James Hodgson, Kahu Paki Paki, Pete Rainey, Campbell Rollo, Rachel Sanson, Tim Skinner and Aaron Stallard
Quorum: 14 – at least five must be from each local authority
· Matters relating to Statements of Expectation for all jointly owned Council Controlled Organisations and Council Controlled Trading Organisations
· Receipt of six monthly presentations from Port Nelson Limited, Nelson Airport Limited and Tasman Bays Heritage Trust and from the Nelson Regional Development Agency (owned solely by Nelson City Council).
· Discussion of policies, initiatives or directives stemming from central Government or external agencies, that involve cross-boundary issues
· Implementation of the Nelson Tasman Future Development Strategy
· To determine the strategic direction to be given to jointly owned CCOs and CCTOs through Statements of Expectation
· To adopt, approve, review and amend the Nelson Tasman Future Development Strategy and Implementation Plan
· In matters relating to the Nelson Tasman Future Development Strategy, to undertake community engagement, including all steps relating to Special Consultative Procedures or other formal consultation processes
· All other matters requiring decision will be recommended to Nelson City and Tasman District Council, subject to an equivalent resolution being adopted by the other Council
· The quorum at a meeting of the Joint Committee is set at 14, being a majority of members as the membership is an odd number.
· Of that quorum of 14 members, at least five must be from each local authority.
· The Standing Orders of the Council providing administration to the committee will be applied at each meeting.
· The Chairperson will alternate each meeting between the Mayor of Nelson City Council and the Mayor of Tasman District Council. In the absence of either Mayor, the committee will elect a chair as its first item of business for that meeting. No deputy chairperson will be appointed.
· The Chairperson will not have a casting vote
· These delegations/terms of reference may be varied by resolution of both Councils and any such resolution will be subject to adoption by the other Council unless it is a matter specific to one Council only
· Copies of minutes of meetings of the Joint Committee will be retained by each Council for record keeping purposes
29 November 2022
An apology has been received from Councillor B Maru
3.1 Updates to the Interests Register
3.2 Identify any conflicts of interest in the agenda
5. Port Nelson Limited - Six-Monthly Strategic Presentation
Paul Zealand, Board Member, Hugh Morrison, Chief Executive Officer and Daryl Wehner, Chief Financial Officer of Port Nelson Limited will provide a formal six-monthly strategic presentation.
6. Nelson Airport Limited - Six Monthly Strategic Presentation
Paul Steere, Chair, Mark Thompson, Chief Executive Officer and Simon Orr, Corporate Services Manager of Nelson Airport Ltd will provide a formal six-monthly strategic presentation.
7. Tasman Bays Heritage Trust - Six Monthly Strategic Presentation
Lucinda Jimson, Chief Executive of the Nelson Provincial Museum, will provide a formal six-monthly strategic presentation.
8. Infrastructure Holdings Limited Briefing
Mike Drummond, Group Manager Finance of Tasman District Council, Daryl Wehner, Chief Financial Officer of Port Nelson Limited and Nikki Harrison, Group Manager Corporate Services of Nelson City Council will provide a verbal briefing.
That the Joint Committee
1. Excludes the public from the following parts of the proceedings of this meeting.
2. The general subject of each matter to be considered while the public is excluded, the reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter and the specific grounds under section 48(1) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 for the passing of this resolution are as follows:
General subject of each matter to be considered
Reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter
Particular interests protected (where applicable)
Joint Council Controlled Organisations - Matters for Statements of Expectations (Tasman Bays Heritage Trust and Infrastructure Holdings Limited) 2023-24
The public conduct of this matter would be likely to result in disclosure of information for which good reason exists under section 7
The withholding of the information is necessary:
· Section 7(2)(i)
To enable the local authority to carry on, without prejudice or disadvantage, negotiations (including commercial and industrial negotiations)