Held in the Council Chamber, Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson
On Thursday 22 October 2020, commencing at 9.00a.m.
Present: Her Worship the Mayor R Reese (Chairperson), Councillors Y Bowater, T Brand, M Courtney, J Edgar (Deputy Mayor), K Fulton, M Lawrey, R O'Neill-Stevens, B McGurk, G Noonan, P Rainey, R Sanson and T Skinner
In Attendance: Chief Executive (P Dougherty), Group Manager Infrastructure (A Louverdis), Group Manager Environmental Management (C Barton), Group Manager Community Services (R Ball), Group Manager Corporate Services (N Harrison), Group Manager Strategy and Communications (N McDonald), Team Leader Governance (R Byrne) and Governance Adviser (E Ruthven)
Apologies : Nil
A karakia timatanga was given.
There were no apologies.
There was no change to the order of business.
There were no updates to the Interests Register, and no interests with items on the agenda were declared.
There was no public forum.
Document number R21418, agenda pages 5 - 14 refer.
Her Worship the Mayor presented the report. She spoke about Council’s priorities for the triennium, and the reasons for proposing a change in governance structure.
Her Worship the Mayor moved the recommendation in the report, seconded by Councillor Edgar.
Her Worship the Mayor answered questions regarding changes to governance structures during previous trienniums, the process followed in arriving at the proposed structure, and the reasons for structuring the governing committees as proposed, including the proposed chairpersons for each governing committee.
Point of order: A point of order was raised by Councillor Skinner against Councillor Lawrey for the use of disrespectful language. The point of order was upheld.
Her Worship the Mayor answered further questions regarding:
· the Council’s triennium priorities of creating a sustainable transport culture, and housing affordability and intensification;
· Committee workloads and time spent in committee meetings;
· officer workloads and resourcing;
· the Mayoral powers under section 41A of the Local Government Act 2001;
· changes to committee delegations likely to be proposed following confirmation of the governance structure; and
· the importance of elected members having sufficient time to engage with members of the community.
It was agreed that the motion would be taken in two parts, with the first part being clauses one to 12 of the motion.
During debate, permission was granted for councillors to read from notes.
1. Receives the report Mayor's Report (R21418) and its attachment (A2497914); and
2. Ceases the operation of the Governance and Finance Committee from 16 November 2020; and
3. Ceases the operation of the Sports and Recreation Committee from 16 November 2020;
4. Ceases the operation of the Community Services Committee from 16 November 2020; and
5. Ceases the operation of the City Centre Working Group from 16 November 2020; and
6. Amends the name of the Environment Committee to be the Environment and Climate Committee from 16 November 2020, to better reflect the priority of its oversight role with regard to climate change policy, issues and monitoring; and
7. Establishes a new governing committee from 16 November 2020, being the Community and Recreation Committee; and
8. Confirms that the Community and Recreation Committee, the Environment and Climate Committee, and the Infrastructure Committee, being Council’s three governing committees, are committees of the whole; and
9. Increases the functions and responsibilities of the Audit and Risk Subcommittee from 16 November 2020 to include finance matters, noting that the subcommittee name will also be updated to the Audit, Risk and Finance Subcommittee from 16 November 2020; and
10. Establishes two additional single purpose subcommittees from 16 November 2020, being the Urban Development Subcommittee and the Strategic Development and Property Subcommittee; and
11. Establishes a City Centre Engagement Group to report to the Urban Development Subcommittee; and
12. Notes that a report will be brought to Council prior to 16 November 2020, to:
· transfer the delegations of the Governance and Finance Committee to Council and/or other committees/subcommittees
· establish the delegations of the Community and Recreation Committee
· update the delegations of the Environment and Climate Committee
· update the delegations of the Audit, Risk and Finance Subcommittee
· confirm the membership and establish the delegations of the Urban Development Subcommittee
· confirm the membership and establish the delegations of the Strategic Development and Property Subcommittee, and
· confirm the membership and establish the delegations of the City Centre Engagement Group, and
· confirm any consequential changes to Council’s Delegations Register arising from changes to Council’s committee structure.
A division was called:
The motion was carried 9-4.
Attendance: Councillor Sanson left the meeting from 10.14a.m. to 10.19a.m.
Her Worship the Mayor outlined proposed committee membership.
Point of order: A point of order was raised by Councillor Lawrey against Her Worship the Mayor that a misleading statement had been made. The point of order was upheld and the statement withdrawn.
The meeting was adjourned from 10.22a.m. to 10.23a.m.
Elected members debated the motion.
13. Appoints elected members to be Chair and Deputies of governing committees as follows:
14. Confirms Cr Brian McGurk and Cr Rohan O’Neill-Stevens remain Chair and Deputy Chair of the Infrastructure Committee; and
15. Appoints elected members to Chair the new single purpose subcommittees as follows:
16. Appoints Councillor Mel Courtney as Chair of the City Centre Engagement Group; and
17. Approves the proposed amendments to Standing Orders relating to quorum for decision-making bodies as set out in Attachment 1 (A2497914); and
18. Ceases the operation of the Emergency Committee.
A division was called:
The motion was carried 9 - 0.
A karakia whakamutunga was given.
There being no further business the meeting ended at 10.57a.m.
Confirmed as a correct record of proceedings: