Held in Rūma Waimārama, Floor 2A, Civic House, 110 Trafalgar Street, Nelson
On Friday 13 March 2020, commencing at 9.30a.m.
Present: Councillor J Edgar (Chairperson), Nelson City Councillor K Fulton, Tasman District Councillors S Bryant and T Walker, and Mr A Stephens
In Attendance: Manager NTRLBU (N Clark), Group Manager Infrastructure (A Louverdis) Acting Manager NTRLBU (D Clifford) and Team Leader Governance (R Byrne)
Apologies : Nil
There were no changes to the order of business
Attendance: Councillor Fulton joined the meeting at 9.35a.m.
There were no updates to the Interests Register, and no interests with items on the agenda were declared.
There was no public forum.
4.1 13 December 2019
Document number M6639, agenda pages 5 - 7 refer.
1. Confirms the minutes of the meeting of the Nelson Tasman Regional Landfill Business Unit, held on 13 December 2019, as a true and correct record.
Document number R15884, agenda pages 8 - 15 refer.
The Chairperson welcomed Nathan Clark, the recently appointed General Manager for the Regional Landfill and Regional Sewerage Business Units.
Acting General Manager, Don Clifford, presented his report and answered questions on timing for reviewing the Asset Management Plan, changes to waste makeup, education and emissions. There was discussion about how the Board will input into the Joint Waste Minimisation Management Plan and it was noted that a report would come to a future meeting.
In discussing the 2020/21 budget Mr Clifford noted he would add a comment on road surface renewal.
Mr Clifford advised that Tasman District Council and Nelson City Council had separately made a submission on the Government’s consultation on the Landfill Levy.
1. Receives the report Nelson Tasman Regional Landfill Business Unit Acting General Manager’s Update (R15884).
Document number R15890, agenda pages 18 - 31 refer.
Acting General Manager, Don Clifford, presented the report and answered questions. It was agreed to update the Business Plan as follows:
· 5. Strategic Goals – include Greenhouse gas emissions are monitored, managed and mitigated in a responsible manner.
· KPI 1 – Landfill Capacity - it was noted as this was one year business plan items 2 and 3 should be amended to Progresses
· KPI 3 – Risks associated with services – include Contingency Plan being triggered and amend Landfill Activity Management Plan
· KPI 4 - Performance monitoring – amend to Joint Committee regularly reviews the performance of the business unit
· KPI 5 – remove where this is economically viable
· KPI 6 – Climate Change –include the Board understands its mitigation responsibility. Include a section on mitigation and measure being through current ETS
· KPI 7 - Good relationships - include education opportunities are utilised
· New Objectives:
o Regularly engages with iwi, customers and owners - measurement being meets with iwi on an annual basis
o Identify opportunities for collaboration through the business unit.
The meeting adjourned from 11.08a.m. until 11.20a.m.
· P24 - Landfill Charges - incluede a sentence referring to Government consulting on h landfill levy increases. Add based on $10 levy per tonne. Remove reference to HAIL survey.
1. Receives the report Nelson Tasman Regional Landfill Business Unit Revised Business Plan 2020/2021 (R15890) and its attachment (A2355972); and
2. Approves the amended Nelson Tasman Regional Landfill Business Unit Business Plan 2020/2021 (A2355972); and
3. Approves that the Chairperson and General Manager be delegated the authority to approve any final amendments required to the Business Plan, prior to sending to Nelson City and Tasman District Councils for approval.
1. Accept the revised Nelson Tasman Regional Landfill Business Unit Business Plan 2020/2021 (A2355972).
The Chairperson thanked Mr Clifford for his work as Acting General Manager for the Regional Landfill Business Unit and the Regional Sewerage Business Unit.
There being no further business the meeting ended at 11.42a.m.
Confirmed as a correct record of proceedings: