Notice of the ordinary meeting of the
Regional Sewerage Business Unit
Tira ā-Rohe mō te Parakaingaki o Whakatū,
o Te Tai o Aorere
Chair To be appointed
Deputy Chair To be appointed
Members Tasman District Cr Kit Maling
Tasman District Cr Trevor Tuffnell
Nelson City Cr Brian McGurk
Nelson City Cr Tim Skinner
Quorum: 3 Chief Executive
Nelson City Council Disclaimer
Please note that the contents of these Council and Committee Agendas have yet to be considered by Council and officer recommendations may be altered or changed by the Council in the process of making the formal Council decision.
The Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit (NRSBU) is a joint committee of Nelson City and Tasman District Councils. Operation of the NRSBU is governed by a Board, as established by a Memorandum of Understanding (A1983271).
· To manage and operate the wastewater treatment facilities at Bells Island and the associated reticulation network efficiently and in accordance with resource consent conditions to meet the needs of its customers.
· The Councils are agreed that the responsibility for all management and administrative matters associated with the NRSBU operation shall be with the Board, and in particular the Board shall without the need to seek any further authority from the Councils:
o Operate a bank account for the Business Unit;
o Comply with the Procurement Policy of the Administering Council;
o Enter into all contracts necessary for the operation and management of the Business Unit in accordance with the approved budgets and intent of the Business Plan;
o Authorise all payments necessary for the operation and management of the Business Unit within the approved budgets and intent of the Business Plan;
o Do all other things, other than those things explicitly prohibited by this Memorandum of Understanding or relevant statutes, that are necessary to achieve the objectives as stated in the Strategic Plan, Asset Management Plan or Business Plan approved by the Councils;
o Comply with the Health and Safety Policy and requirements of the administering Council
· Contribute to the sanitary services assessment process of the Councils
· Contribute to and comply with the waste management plans of the Councils
· Contribute to the development of the Councils’ Development and Financial Contribution policies
· Contribute to the Councils’ Regional Policy Statement and Regional Plan Reviews
· Develop and keep under review an appropriate contract for the delivery of waste collection and disposal services with each of its customers
· Follow generally accepted accounting practices
· Follow good employment practices
· Any other matters under the areas of responsibility of the Business Unit and detailed in the Memorandum of Understanding.
· All recommendations to Council will be subject to adoption of an equivalent resolution by the other Council, unless it is a matter specific to one Council only.
· The Memorandum of Understanding governing the NRSBU allows for either six or seven members to be appointed. The quorum at a meeting is either three (if six members are appointed), or four (if seven members are appointed), including at least one from each local authority.
· The Standing Orders of the Council providing administration to the committee will be applied at each meeting.
· The Chairperson will not have a casting vote.
· Copies of minutes of meetings of the Joint Committee will be retained by each Council for record keeping purposes
Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
4 December 2019
1. Confirmation of Order of Business
2.1 Updates to the Interests Register
2.2 Identify any conflicts of interest in the agenda
4. Appointment of Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson
That the Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
1. Appoints _______________ as Chairperson of the Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit for the triennium 2019-2022; and
2. Appoints _______________ as Deputy Chairperson of the Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit for the triennium 2019-2022.
That the Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit
1. Excludes the public from the following parts of the proceedings of this meeting.
2. The general subject of each matter to be considered while the public is excluded, the reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter and the specific grounds under section 48(1) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 for the passing of this resolution are as follows:
General subject of each matter to be considered
Reason for passing this resolution in relation to each matter
Particular interests protected (where applicable)
Land Purchase report
The public conduct of this matter would be likely to result in disclosure of information for which good reason exists under section 7
The withholding of the information is necessary:
· Section 7(2)(h)
To enable the local authority to carry out, without prejudice or disadvantage, commercial activities
· Section 7(2)(i)
To enable the local authority to carry on, without prejudice or disadvantage, negotiations (including commercial and industrial negotiations)